No products in the cart.
Compass Soapstone Sculpture, Natural Stone
- SKU: KSACMP-SN
Roll over image to zoom in
Click to open expanded view
Sold By: GC
202 in stock
Hand-carved from a single piece of Kisii soapstone by African artisans, this natural stone compass is a beautiful decor item and can be used for many things from a paperweight, to desk decor, or token to remind one of the path they are on. Great gift for men!
- Measures approximately 2.5-inches in diameter by 1.25-inch thick.
- Due to the hand-carved nature, each piece may vary in size by up to a half an inch.
- Made from a natural stone, colors can vary from cream to pink to gold to grey in any single piece.
- Soapstone is a soft stone, making it easy to carve into many forms. Handle with care to avoid breakage.
- Each piece has gone through multiple stages of sanding and waxing, giving the soapstone a satiny finish.
- Socially responsible products that empower consumers to purchase according to their values and help alleviate global poverty.
- Fair Trade is an alternative business model that values safe workplaces, fair wages and community investment for factory employees.
Story Behind the Art:
Each sculpture is artfully hand-carved from a single piece of Kisii soapstone, found only in the hills of southwestern Kenya. Mining the soapstone from surface hills is a labor-intensive process, using little to no machinery. Laborers works with shovels, picks, axes and machetes to carve out large soapstone chucks, which are then carved into beautiful art.
Shipping Countries: United States (US), Canada